Lots of people with cerebral palsy have a difficult time writing as a result of limitations in essay helper muscular function, fine motor control, joint function, and range of motion. Fortunately, there are many types of assistive tools and technologies that can help people who have cerebral palsy to publish with greater ease. These can be broken on to a few categories:
People with cerebral palsy often have a problem with grasping objects that are small and experience hand fatigue and pain when they use traditional writing utensils. Fortunately, there are many affordable tools that are simpler to grasp, make writing more comfortable, which help the user to safely strengthen their hand muscles. Some examples include:
- Pencil grips ($4.95): Pencil grips are obtainable in various shapes and colors from several vendors. The angle of the grip and finger guard ensures that the fingers have been in the position that is proper minimize hand fatigue.
- NuMuv Grip Aid ($10.95): An addition to virtually any graspable part of an object such as for instance silverware, writing utensils, toothbrushes, etc. that can give the user greater independence while doing everyday tasks.
- Jumbo GRIP Triangular Pencils ($16.95 for a pack of 12): A transition between grips and pencils that are regular these are wider and have soft little dots to aid with grip. They have been described as an “ideal companion for children’s attempts that are first writing.”
- Coban Wrap ($4.49): Can easily be covered with layers around various utensils such as for instance crayons, pens and pencils to give grip that is extra.
- Bip Grip: Pen & Pencil Grip ($13.99): Plastic material, goes around pens and pencils to ensure they are thicker and easier to understand while preventing strain that is putting the hand muscles.
- The Pencil Grip Writing CLAW for Pencils and Utensils ($14.78 for a pack of 12): Universal design for righties and lefties with grip stretches to suit any utensils.
- The Heavyweight Pen ($20.95) and also the Heavyweight Pencil ($20.95) both provide stability while writing, and permit an individual to relax their hand a little without losing your hands on the tool . The ones featured here also come with comfort grips.
- Pencil Weight ($14.95): This serves a similar purpose to heavyweight pens and pencils, but could be properly used on any writing tool. It can be particularly great for individuals who prefer to use a variety of writing tools (for instance, a set that is large of pencils) since it is more cost-effective than buying many heavyweight utensils. It can be used alone or perhaps in conjunction with other pencil grips, and can be utilized on most coloring tools and writing instruments.
Assistance With Typing
Typing could be a challenge for people with fine motor skill impairments, because computer keys are small and may be hard to press. BigKeys LX ($159-179) keyboards were created to make certain that each key is larger and as a consequence simpler to press. They also have an mode” that is“assist which can be helpful for folks who are struggling to press one or more button at once.
Assistance With Postural Stability
Spending hours hunched over a desk to publish can lead to bad posture. This is especially true for people with cerebral palsy, who will be vulnerable to muscle tightening and issues that are postural. Moreover, difficulty maintaining stability that is postural end in poor handwriting. You will find a couple of things that might help create a significantly better posture for writing:
- Better Board Slant Board ($16.95) . It has a rather light and collapsible surface that is plastic that is great for classrooms and travelling. It lies at a 20 degree angle, with clamps for holding paper.
- Classroom Positioner Desk/Stander ($860-890) . This one is more of an investment. The height can be adjusted to allow for sitting or standing, with optional support while standing. The angle of the desktop can also be changed.
Some people with cerebral palsy have more severe difficulty with muscle control, and simple devices to enhance grip, provide stability, or assistance with posture will not be of much use. However, you can find forms of of assistive technology that will let them write without needing their hands. Listed below are two examples:
- Write: Outloud ($99) . Write: Outloud is a kind of talk-to-text technology that may process spoken letter, words, sentences, and paragraphs. It can be used by individuals with severe disabilities that are physical as well as visual and cognitive impairments which will make writing difficult. There are additionally voice commands that permit the user to avoid the usage a pc menu when performing things such as inserting a picture into a document or indenting a paragraph. The program reads aloud while the user writes, and allows for self-correction. In addition it includes a talking dictionary and other helpful features.
- EyeComTec (price varies) . EyeComTec devices allow individuals who are unable to speak clearly and motor that is lack in other parts of their body to communicate solely through subtle eye movements and blinking. A keyboard is had by them that allows the consumer to pick characters and complete lines of text. All their technology is highly customizable.
People with cerebral palsy have a variety that is wide of as it pertains to writing. Many of these can be met with inexpensive devices that can make writing easier and more comfortable. Others may need to invest in kinds of technology that, though expensive, can drastically change one’s quality of life. A government-sponsored compilation of different types of assistive devices to explore more options, check out ABLEDATA.
The list of products above is intended to be only a general educational resource. We usually do not endorse vendors that are individual products, or services. We recommend that you read reviews, check with your doctor, or ask other users with regards to their opinions before purchasing a product off this list.
About ABC Law Centers
ABC Law Centers was established to target exclusively on birth injury cases. A “birth injury” is any type of harm to a baby that occurs just before, during, or after birth. This consists of issues such as for example oxygen deprivation , infection , and trauma . Though some children with birth injuries make a recovery that is complete others develop disabilities such as for example cerebral palsy and epilepsy .
If a birth injury/subsequent disability might have been prevented with good care, then it constitutes medical malpractice . Settlements from birth injury cases can cover the expenses of lifelong treatment, care, along with other crucial resources.
You may have a birth injury case for your child, please contact us today to learn more if you believe. Our company is very happy to speak to you free from any charge or obligation. In fact, clients pay nothing throughout the entire legal process unless we win.
Free Case Review | Available 24/7 | No Fee Until We Win